Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pink Bathroom Chronicles: Cabinet Demolition

Catch up!
Part ONE

After replacing the medicine cabinet, I was faced with the task of repainting the patched area pink...which is the color of the bathroom walls currently. Ever since we moved in, I've been wanting to paint the bathroom a nice light gray, but we never got around to it. Now that I was going to be forced to bust out some paint, I decided it would NOT be pink. I also decided that it was time to take care of some other nastiness.

I hinted in my last post that the cabinet above the toilet would be my next victim. Check it out: this cabinet is really old and has been painted over so many times that the doors don't close completely.


There's just nothing sexy about this cabinet at all. 




It had to come out. Boyfriend bought me a crowbar for the occasion and the proceeded to help me tear it down because it was really stuck in there!


Kids, I highly recommend wearing the proper safety gear when doing demolition. We both get points for wearing safety glasses. I lose points for wearing a fluffy cloud robe and slippers. In my defense, it was almost bedtime. 


Things started to get dicey when the cabinet--glued in from years and layers of paint--decided to take some drywall with it. Oopsie!


Once we finally got the whole cabinet out, we had fun peeling away all those layers of paint that kept wanting to come away easily. It just wouldn't stop! There were at least 7 layers of paint that I could detect. It was like discovering the personalities of each person based on the paint layer. Original Pink fell victim to the trend of the times and made everything the exact same color, Purple was cheap and used shitty paint, White was sloppy, Current Pink was dealt a bad hand and just tried to make it all work, etc, etc.


Here's where we stood post-demolition. Obviously lots of patchwork to do.


While I was at it, I went ahead and ripped out the old ceramic toilet paper holder.



So my plans for this nook are to hang some open white floating shelves. I think having the shelves open will make the room seem more spacious and will be modern, yet classic. Here are a few of my inspirations:




You get the idea. Up soon: how to patch up your f*** ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment