Monday, August 12, 2013

Home Office Part 2: Bye Bye Beige

This is what the office looked like as of last week. Adios, soul-sucking beige!


This weekend was supposed to be a deep-clean-and-collect-paint-chips weekend in Apartment Therapy's Style Cure schedule, but Sherwin Williams had a 30% off sale last week and what's a girl gonna do, right?

I knew I wanted to do a medium-tone gray so I gave the two I already had a try. The first color we used in the living room/hallway (I think it's called "Simply Greige" from SW) and the other was "Pavestone" from SW. One was too light, the other was too dark, and both were too warm. I was actually really bummed out about this because it was the last day of the Sherwin Williams sale and I had come down with a cold, which left me greasy-haired, mucus-filled and in no mood to go running errands. You're welcome for that mental image.

Long story short, my deal-loving Asian side won out against my weak and sickly Caucasian side, and I returned from the store with two gallons of "Requisite Gray".



Fast forward to this weekend. My two goals were to paint the room and replace the light fixture with the bubble lamp I had DIYd for our last rental house. It's been sitting in a padded box since we moved because there was no good place to hang it (our only dining room lamp is awkwardly placed above the kitchen island?). Bubble lamp, I've missed you sorely.


I was so excited to finally give it a home! Boyfriend was great and helped out every step of the way with only minor whining involved :)


Here it is! And also the room has been painted. As per tradition, I cut in around the trim and corners while Boyfriend had roller duties. 


Some furniture has been rearranged.



I think the color looks fantastic and the room feels so much more fresh and glamorous with the new lamp. I love all the caustics it throws on the ceiling and walls too. Let's admire it some more....



I'm still working on a plan for the desk area. After several iterations, here's where I'm at right now.


Looking at my plan, I'm starting to think this is going to take a bit longer than a month and cost more than $300. Eep! Still, even if it cost $1000 and looked remotely close to what I drew up, I think that would be money well spent.

Next steps are to do some mirror and desk-supply shopping. To the Craigslists!

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the light and the grey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start. :) Your bubble lamp comeback makes the room look fun already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! I've missed that lamp so much. I didn't realize it until we hung it this weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love the swirls and textures that the bubble lamp casts on your walls/ceiling! Jealous of your progress! I am picking up a quart of paint tonight in hopes that I can also get a jump on painting the room. Waiting until the very end to paint does not sound like fun at all! I have also realized that my project is not going to be cheap either, so it will be interesting to see how much we can get done. Good luck!

    www.gunpowderhouse.blogspot.com

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a fun lamp? I just love it.
      Painting pretty much sucks, but I just put on a TV show like Scrubs or 30 Rock and try not to think too much about it :)
      I read about the spill on your stairs, which sounds MORTIFYING. Omg that's my worst fear whenever I carry paint up and down the steps. Glad you got it all worked out. I was trying to leave this comment on your blog but couldn't figure out how to do it. Oh well, hope you read this!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete